Re: Hello!

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, I wrote:

> This foundered for various technical reasons, but I suspect a similar
> idea might well fit into the Brithenig alternate world to investigate
> the alternate Q-Celtic languages which would have arisen...

And Andrew Smith replied:

> That's a good idea, it's one I have wondered about in the past.  If you
> haven't seen it try reading An Introduction to the Celtic Languages by
> Paul Russel, (1996).  It was helpful in giving the effects of sound
> changes and mutations in P-Celtic, and I think it coverage of Q-Celtic
> should be just as good.  At a guess I should say your university library
> somewhere in Edinburgh would have it, if not then they should be shot.

I actually borrowed this very book from the public library some time ago
and am now trying to find it in a bookshop! The only times I've seen it
I had less than the 21 pounds it cost :-( Speaking of books, what's the
book "From Latin to Romance in sound-charts", referred to in your
Brithenig page, like? I've never seen it.

(from a different post):

> On the isle of Man I think they speak Gaelic written in a Brithenig
> orthography.  In northern Kemr, the influx of immigrant Irish created a
> new dialect of Brithenig influenced by Irish pronunciation, known as
> Yscaws (Scouse).  It's most common in the Kemrese equivalent of Liverpool,
> north of Aberddui.

Brithenig turns out to have been a good deal more widely spoken than I
originally thought! My original conception was of a Romance language
affected by Q-Celtic phonology in the same way that Brithenig is
affected by P-Celtic phonology: "coigiteo earago som", or something like
that... i.e. what would have happened if speakers of Latin had been
numerous enough to displace speakers of Proto-Goidelic, etcetera.

There are actually some rather complex problems with this which I'll
happily indulge myself in if requested... Also, P-Celtic-influenced
Q-Celtic, or vice versa, could get quite interesting. Excuse my
ignorance of the Brithenig alternate universe, but what languages are
spoken in the alternate equivalents of the various parts of Scotland and

> I would like to hear more about Liotan.

Ask away! Have a look at my (incomplete) website,
http://www.cix.co.uk/~morven/liotan.html if you like - it says some nice
things about Brithenig (grovel!). Replace "liotan" with "l_intro" if you
don't like frames.

Geoff Eddy

[] Anna laughed with delight         <> Geoff Eddy, somewhere in
Edinburgh.. []
[] And my future was suddenly bright <>
[] So full of plans                  <> "The more it stays the same,
the     []
[]  - Pal Shazar                     <>  less it changes" - Nigel
Tufnell    []