Mobile Welsh (was: Mormonides)

At 20:55 27/1/98, Padraic Brown wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:
>> think in the (late) middle ages?  (Must check the date!)  Some maintain
>> that one of native American peoples - the Mandans?? - took a lot of Welsh
>> into their language.  But mightn't there have survived a Celticized
>> American people in an alternative history  ;-)

>all along the West Coast; they landed in Argentina, where to this very
>day, if one knows Welsh, one can get along in a smashing fashion in such
>places as the Camwy Valley & Cwm Hyfryd.

No, no - you're talking about the actual Welsh settlement of Patagonia, now
part of Argentina, in, I think, the early years of the last century
[Another date to check :=(   ]

I was talking about the legendary voyage of the Welsh Prince Madog, son of
Owain Gwynedd, who is supposed to have sailed from Aber-Cerrig-Gwynion near
Rhos-on-Sea, with two ships in 1170 and to have landed in Mobile Bay,
Alabama.  I've checked, and the Indian tribe is the Mandans who became
extinct, I believe, in the mid-19th century.  The Mandans, in fact, were
held to be the descendants of Madog's followers.

Written in Net English                 Humor not marked
No intentional misreprsentation of another's statements
No intentional ad_hominem remarks

Gerasko d'aei polla didaskomenos (SOLON)