[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: American dialect of Brithenig
- To: Padraic Brown <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: American dialect of Brithenig
- From: andrew <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 18:48:26 +1200 (NZST)
- cc: andrew <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Sally Caves <email@example.com>, John Cowan <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-Reply-To: <Pine.GSO.3.96.990731143915.1448Bemail@example.com>
On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Padraic Brown wrote:
> Right. If they concentrate on taking and holding New Orleans, the
> interior is cut off and more or less up for grabs. Are you sure they
> could have "swamped" Louisiana in the late 18th century? I don't think
> the US could have done that *here*. Where are they all comming from?
> There are no highland clearances (what with an independant Scotland) and
It was the Scots who pushed for the clearances, at least at a certain
social and economic level. There was more money in large scale
sheep-farming than small tenant-based crofting. Don't blame London; the
Scots did that one to themselves!
> the Let-It-Be attitude towards Ireland doesn't seem to cause enough
> agitation there to trigger a mass exodous. Or did they clear the Slums of
> London and Caerleon? :)
Benign neglect is not the same as New World opportunity.
On a plus side helium extraction for airships may have become more widely
available in the 1930s *there. *Here, the Americans refused to share the
technology with the Germans which lead to the Hindenburg disaster.
*There, well, perhaps - London commands...
Andrew Smith, Intheologus firstname.lastname@example.org
Lo! thy dread empire, Chaos! is restored;
Light dies before thy uncreating word:
Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall;
And Universal Darkness buries All.
- Alexander Pope, The Dunciad, Book IV.